Wednesday, September 7, 2011

US Open 2011--Celebrity Sightings

**Clockwise from far top left--Brooklyn Decker, Amanda Seyfried, Joanna Garcia, Vanessa Hudgens, Ciara, Maggie Q, Anna Wintour, and Blake Lively.  (Photos courtesy of People StyleWatch and Marie Claire UK)

J and I went to the US Open this past weekend while we were in the NYC area for a wedding in Long Island.  Man, everyone knows I am obsessed with tennis... but the Grand Slams are seriously something else.  They are truly a grand experience.  I've sat in a variety of seats in my times at Arthur Ashe... and I always feel truly blessed to just be there.  If you are a tennis fan, it is something you must try.  If you are an avid sports fan, it is something you must try.  If you like NYC, I highly recommend it. 

While my eyes were mainly glued to the tennis, as I hemmed and hawed over how easy the athletes make everything look, J mentioned that I was guilty of the once-over many a time as individuals passed by... and that I was victim to the once-over as well.  While I was confident that people were admiring what I was wearing (cream v-neck cotton dress with heather grey horizontal stripes, olive green grosgrain ribbon belt by JCrew with black and clear crystal embellishments, black cage gladiator sandal flats, cat eye sunglasses), I am sad to report that my observations were not all that positive.  I guess it is inevitable when you place yourself in a location full of tourists.  With tourists, you can shake your head and just assume they don't know any better... but with celebrities, poor fashion is just inexcusable.  Not all of them failed to make the cut.  Brooklyn Decker looked polished in her black Juicy Couture lace dress with scalloped sleeves and hem as she watched her husband win his first round match.  While it's not ideal for comfort or humid summer temperatures, Anna Wintour looks fabulous in an ikat-print sheath.  I suppose if you are the iconic Ms. Wintour, there is some a/c-powered room at your immediate accessibility if you start to break a sweat.  I love her outfit from Day 1 as well.  The brightly-colored statement necklace against the equally bright plaid is so lovely.  Blake Lively is always in-tune with fashion and locale--looking breezy and beautiful in her maxi dress.  Not sure I can jive with Amanda Seyfried's tourist-worthy outfit, as she adorns herself in a pink US Open t-shirt and denim wash Yankees cap.  Joanna Garcia looks prep-tastic, which was the uniform of at least 75% of women present on the grounds.  That being said... her outfit reminds me of the clothing worn by the women who were 45+ in age.  Maggie Q looks... old.  I have no comments either way with Ciara aside from her t-shirt being far from my taste in clothing.  The worst is, as always, Vanessa Hudgens... who, although being young, fabulously wealthy, and decent-looking, often manages to make herself look homeless.  Word to the wise Vanessa... boho does not equal hobo...despite the switcharoo of the same letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment