Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's Fashion Week--Clothing as Art

While the clothing from the collections I featured earlier this week were just straight-up items I would wear myself, I think that is generally an exception to the rule.  Often--the clothing draped on runway models during fashion shows are just really weird... similar to the strange, futuristic look that cars have in auto shows. I just came to terms with the idea of clothing as works of art, and there were several examples that actually fit that term to a "t."
Vera Wang's collection was borderline wearable in shape and style, but probably not for anyone who is not 5'9" and weighs 100 lbs.  However, her items were truly works of art in print and fabric choice.  The strapless top on the far right actually invoked Van Gogh's Starry Night for me... for some reason.  I think it was the swirly-ness.
Rodarte's line really encapsulates the idea of clothing as art with their eclectic combination of textures in the fabrics used, as well as the mixing of prints.  I mean, heck, if there was a genre of art that possessed the gilded beauty of the Mulleavy sisters' frocks, I'd visit a museum to view that exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment